Thursday, October 27, 2011

Halloween Food Frustration

With Halloween right around the corner and all the commercials and decorations I find myself in a festive mood. I have the urge to celebrate in some way, and being to old to trick or treat I decide that I should cook something festive and share it with friends. Great, I'll just go online and look for some inspiration on making a Halloween type snack that isn't just pure sugar. After 45 minutes on my typical recipe sites and just googling I am  left empty handed. What is it about Halloween that makes everyone eat eighty thousand pounds of candy and chocolate? I'm not looking for a healthy snack per say, just something that wouldn't require a diabetic to take insulin just looking at it. So far this is what I've come up with... popcorn snack (you can flavor it or do popcorn balls with minimal molasses), pumpkin break or muffins (although be careful because some of these had a lot of sugar in them), or pumpkin seeds. Any other suggestions?

This whole experience was a bit scary, no pun intended. Even sugary deserts like cupcakes suddenly had more sugar and candy added to them. People I know who I would consider 'healthy' don't blink twice about buying bags and bags of candy to give out to trick or treaters. What is it about this day that makes us through out all healthy habits? Anyone else frustrated?

No comments:

Post a Comment