Thursday, December 15, 2011

Over Indulging

I was a bad girl last night. I was having one of those nights were I was just a little upset and in a sad mood and instead of making a salad or having soup for dinner I succumbed to my taste buds. After going back and forth between the refrigerator and the pantry several times, thinking each time that something might catch my eye and sound like a yummy dinner, I decided to ‘just make something’. What did I make? Macaroni and cheese. Now, this by its self can be ok, I mean we all indulge every so often right? Except I didn’t eat a small portion with a side salad or veggie like I should have. Nope my whole meal with delicious baked macaroni and cheese (and I went back for seconds, I mean it wasn’t really enough to save anyways… what a lame excuse). Did it end there? I WISH!!! Nope a little later I decided that I wanted a little something for dessert (mistake!! Mistake!!) and had ice cream. Again all of this tasted so good, but never fail about an hour later I felt horrible. 1. My head hurt, 2. I was so thirsty I couldn’t get enough water, 3. My stomach was just not feeling right. 4. It did not help my mood, in fact it made it a little worse!  So, what did I learn from this (or I guess have to re-learn)? Comfort food comforts you in the moment but then makes you feel worse (both physically and emotionally) later.



What I plan to try next time (and what you can try to start with)…

1.       When I get in this mood, leave the kitchen. Maybe if I decide what I’m eating while not looking at those things then I will be in less of a mood to do so.

2.       Keep something at least somewhat healthy in the freezer to give me something quick to eat when I get in these moods

3.       If I want to indulge a little, make sure it’s just a little. Add a veggie with my mac and cheese and before I eat put what I plan to keep as leftovers in the refrigerator (or just be better about cooking less to start with).

4.       Drink more water while I’m cooking. Hopefully this will prevent the dehydration and help keep me a little fuller.

5.       If I indulge for dinner, I do not get to keep indulging and making bad decision. Next time, no dessert.

What other things have you found to help you??

No comments:

Post a Comment