Monday, February 6, 2012

Cleanse Day 21: And so it ends

Yesterday was the last day of my cleanse. It was one of the hardest since I could see the light at the end of the tunnel, but also made me reflect back onto the week. It made me think about how I feel now versus 21 days ago, and what I was eating now verses then.  This is what I came up with…

I like how I feel now. I have more energy, I’m not as tired at the end of the day (or in the middle), I’ve become more productive, saved money while eating out, and feel like can think clearer. I like that my refrigerator was packed solid with fruits and vegetables at the beginning of the week, and then to see it again at the end empty and knowing that I had eaten all that great food.  I like that it forced me to be creative with dinner and lunch items and resulted in me eating better (not just health but flavor wise).

So, while I can’t (and shouldn’t) continue the ‘cleanse program’ as a lifestyle I can draw upon to help improve how I currently eat.  Here are some things I will try and change…

1.        Eating out. During the cleanse I realized how much cheaper and better I felt after eating out when I couldn’t get desert or eat the bread.  This is a habit I’m going to try and continue in the future. I hope that it will prevent me from overindulging and save me a little money

2.       Better snacking. Too often when I get busy I forget to eat lunch and then end up settling for a granola bar to tide me over until dinner. However, during the cleanse I made sure to keep fruits and vegetables around to snack on and had to be better about remember to eat or I’d get a headache.

3.       More vegetables.  As with most Americans I tend to eat mostly fruits and little vegetables. During this cleanse I made a point to try and eat more vegetables at snacks and part of dinner.  Don’t get me wrong, fruits are great for you but they don’t replace the nutrients in vegetables. My goal is to make sure there is always a vegetable with my lunch and dinner and that when I snack it should be veggies and not fruit.

No comments:

Post a Comment